Jan 7, 2013

Carrot Cake Energy Balls

Ask me what my favorite cake is and I’ll immediately exclaim, “Carrot Cake!” This is my adult answer. My inner 10-year-old silently responds with “Funfetti Cake.” Not gonna lie, that pure white cake scattered with rainbow sprinkles makes me smile. But carrot cake? That’s just pure goodness. Or as Tom Haverford would say, “a big ole cookie.”

This is one excited face ready to devour a carrot cake:

I’ve made my own carrot cake once. It took a long time and I made a huge mess. Was it worth it? Yes. Would I do it again? Maybe for someone really freaking special. In the meantime, I’ll keep making a (much) healthier and quicker version.image

Carrot Cake Energy Bites

adapted from Baking Serendipity

  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup shredded carrots
  • 1/4 raw almonds, quartered (or chopped)
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup milled flaxseed
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup almond butter
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup

DSC_0615 (1280x853)Preparation

  1. In a mixing bowl, stir together oats, shredded carrots, almonds, raisins, flaxseed, and cinnamon.
  2. Add almond butter and maple syrup and stir until evenly combined.
  3. Place mixture in refrigerator for at least one hour.
  4. Shape mixture into one-inch balls. Makes about 18-20.

photo 3 (9)

This is the next best thing to carrot cake, I promise. Not only do you get a similar flavor from them, you get natural energy! Toss one back before a workout and you’re golden.

Toss two back and you might explode with happiness.image